Recycle BC provides incentives to local governments, First Nations, private companies and non-profits to collect packaging and paper under contract with Recycle BC.
Local governments providing residential packaging and paper or garbage curbside collection in November 2012 were initially offered a collection incentive to provide collection in May 2014. Recycle BC also offered a collection incentive to local governments and qualified private companies and non-profit organizations to provide collection of packaging and paper from multi-family buildings and to operate depots.
Recycle BC’s Packaging and Paper Product Extended Producer Responsibility Plan aims to create greater access to residential packaging and paper recycling throughout BC. Recycle BC continues to look for opportunities to expand its collection network to better service BC residents.
All collectors are required to meet Recycle BC’s Collector Qualification Standards.
Sample Collection Contracts
The following are sample contracts that are customized for each local government, private company and non- profit organizations contracted under the Recycle BC program. They are provided for information only.
Collection where the curbside collection service is provided by a local government accepting the curbside collection incentive
- Sample Statement of Work for Multi-Family Building Collection
- Sample Statement of Work for Depot Collection
Expansion of Recycle BC’s Collection System
Each year during development of its operations budget for the following year, Recycle BC will assess the performance of the packaging and paper collection system in relation to the recovery target and accessibility performance objectives set out in the Stewardship Plan. Based on this assessment, Recycle BC may seek to add collectors to the Recycle BC collection system as required to deliver the recovery target and accessibility performance objectives. Assessment of expansion of Recycle BC’s collection system would include, without limitation, taking into consideration:
Collectors that have expressed an interest in joining Recycle BC’s collection system and that are able to:
- Deliver collection services in areas identified as having insufficient collection service to meet accessibility performance objectives;
- Contribute to Recycle BC achieving its recovery target; and
- Contribute to the efficiency and effectiveness of Recycle BC’s collection system;
- The ability to modify post-collection service provider agreements to add new collectors and more tonnes of packaging and paper; and
- The timeline to execute agreements with collectors prior to finalizing Recycle BC’s operating budget for the following program year.
Organizations that are interested in joining Recycle BC’s collection network should contact:
Toll Free: 1-855-875-3596