Multi-Material British Columbia (MMBC) submitted the Packaging and Printed Paper (PPP) Stewardship Plan and the Consultation Summary for the PPP Stewardship Plan to the Ministry of Environment on November 19, according to the requirements of the Recycling Regulation.
- Packaging and Printed Paper Stewardship Plan
- Consultation Summary for Packaging and Printed Paper Stewardship Plan
Revisions to the Plan
As a result of the consultation process, the Draft PPP Stewardship Plan underwent revisions to address points of confusion or misunderstanding among stakeholders. Examples of these revisions include:
- Clarifying packaging regulated under Schedule 2 of the Recycling Regulation which is excluded from the PPP Stewardship Plan;
- Clarifying the distinction between curbside collection services and multi-family building collection services;
- Clarifying that the market-clearing price will reflect collection system cost drivers;
- Clarifying the distinction between collection services for which a market-clearing price will be offered and post-collection services (receiving PPP from collection vehicles, picking up PPP from depots, consolidation and transfer, where required, etc.) which will be procured by MMBC using a request for proposals process;
- Clarifying that MMBC will contract directly with processors;
- Adding a new Section 4.6 to describe the relationships that are expected to be established between collectors and processors;
- Clarifying the sources of data for the numerator and the denominator in the recovery rate calculation and the time required to compile and validate these data before MMBC is able to consult with stakeholders on a timeline to achieve the 75% recovery rate; and
- Clarifying that MMBC will report the quantity of PPP managed by recycling, recovery and disposal.
Comments and Questions Can Be Submitted until December 14
MMBC will continue to accept comments and questions on the PPP Stewardship Plan until December 14, 2012. The PPP Stewardship Plan may be refined based on written submissions received prior to December 14, 2012. Written submissions received between November 12 and December 14, 2012 will be added to the Consultation Summary together with responses from MMBC describing if and how the comments were addressed in an updated version of the PPP Stewardship Plan which, if prepared, would be submitted to the Director in January 2013.
Ways to Provide Comments
Stakeholders can submit comments to MMBC by participating in one or more of the following:
- MMBC Online Feedback: Use the convenient online forms to send in questions or comments, provide a more detailed submission and/or upload documents that provide your feedback. Go to feedback form.
- Email: Send comments and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Continue to Visit the MMBC Website for Important Information and Updates
The MMBC website offers important information about the PPP Stewardship Plan process as well as a variety of ways for stakeholders to remain informed and provide input.
It is recommended that you subscribe to MMBC’s RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds to get program news and updates delivered directly to your desktop. The MMBC Packaging and Printed Paper Stewardship Plan Blog provides a weekly highlight of aspects of the PPP Stewardship Plan and, over time, implementation activities.
Documents to Assist Local Government Staff in Briefing Councils and Boards
MMBC has prepared two documents to assist local government staff in briefing their boards and councils about the PPP Stewardship Plan. The first of these two documents comprises excerpts of key sections from the PPP Stewardship Plan document in a Word format. The second document presents a summary of key elements of the PPP Stewardship Plan in PowerPoint format. These downloadable documents may be used, in whole or in part, to supplement reports and presentations being prepared by staff.