Recycle BC service partner, CSSA, sets commitments and endorses circular economy for plastics
Recycle BC’s national service partner, Canadian Stewardship Services Alliance (CSSA), is among more than 350 organizations worldwide to endorse the New Plastics Economy Global Commitment vision of a circular economy for plastics, where plastics never become waste.
In addition to supporting CSSA’s endorsement, Recycle BC is pleased to make the following specific commitments with CSSA in support of the Global Commitment:
- Collaborate with businesses and governments in order to help increase reuse/recycling/composting rates for plastics;
- Advocate for a system of harmonized Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) regulations across Canada as a critical mechanism for developing circular supply chains; and
- Advocate for public procurement policies that require increasing amounts of recycled content in packaging and products and 100% recyclable plastic packaging as effective and visible means of promoting circular economy outcomes.
The Global Commitment, led by the Ellen MacArthur Foundation in collaboration with UN Environment, establishes a network of businesses, governments and other organizations that will pursue targets to:
- Eliminate problematic or unnecessary plastic packaging and move from single-use to reuse packaging models.
- Innovate to ensure 100% of plastic packaging can be easily and safely reused, recycled, or composted by 2025.
- Circulate the plastic produced, by significantly increasing the amounts of plastics reused or recycled and made into new packaging or products.
See the Global Commitment website for more information.