Recycle BC and its national service provider, Canadian Stewardship Services Alliance (CSSA), are proud endorsers of the New Plastics Economy Global Commitment’s common vision of a circular economy for plastics, where plastics never become waste.
Today, the Global Commitment released its first progress report. CSSA and Recycle BC’s progress on their commitments can be found starting on page 337 here.
In October 2018, CSSA made specific commitments to support the Global Commitment. In addition to support CSSA’s commitments, Recycle BC also made the following:
- General plastic target of 50% by 2025
- Progress: 2018 recovery rate was 42%
- Rigid plastic target of 55% by 2022; and 60% by 2025
- Progress: 2018 recovery rate was 54%
- Flexible plastic target of 22% by 2022; and 25% by 2025
- Progress: 2018 recover rate was 19%
Launched in October 2018, the Global Commitment now has over 400 organizations committed to eliminating problematic and unnecessary plastic packaging, and innovating so that all plastic packaging is 100% reusable, recyclable, or compostable, and can be safely and easily circulated without becoming waste or pollution.
See the Global Commitment website for more information on this initiative.